A long-term goal of IDM Film Fund & Commission is to strengthen the local audiovisual sector and to promote South Tyrol as a film location in order to contribute to the macroeconomic value of the territory. With the aim of achieving these goals and empowering the local film industry, IDM offers support to film and TV productions that wish to learn more about the potential of the area. This call for applications offers a scouting session through the consulting and participation of a local professional during the location tour (max. duration of three days). Please note that IDM bears any costs related to the scouting session and lodging for max three member of the production team only. The production company must cover their own expenses for board and transportation.
Funding for scouting sessions is limited and awards will be made until funding is exhausted.
1. Who can apply?
Production companies, or executive producers, with feature-length fiction projects or series in the pre-production phase that regard South Tyrol as a potential filming location, may apply for the IDM scouting sessions. Short films, documentaries or commercials are not allowed. The project type must be among those eligible for support from the provincial fund. To this end, please refer to the Production Funding Fact sheet.
Please note: should a production company decide to apply for a grant from the provincial fund after participating in a scouting session, participation in the latter does not in any way guarantee a positive outcome of the grant application. Furthermore, production companies that have received development and pre-production support from IDM will not be eligible to apply for the scouting service.
2. Required application documents
- The completed application form for funding
- A company description with detailed filmography
- The CV of the person(s) who will actively take part in the scouting on behalf of the company
- The project synopsis and/or screenplay
- A moodboard indicating the environments on which to focus research in the territory
- The finance plan of the project (you may submit a draft if a final version is not yet available)
- If the applicant works as executive producer for the production, a document which demonstrates his/her involvement in this role in the project
3. When is it possible to apply?
You can submit your application up to no later than December 1st, 2021 in order to participate in a scouting session by December 31st, 2021. The application must be submitted at least two weeks before the scouting session.
All application materials must be sent to Luisa Giuliani (email@example.com). An email with acknowledgement of receipt is required.
4. Selection process
After reviewing and assessing the application material, IDM will decide whether or not to support the project with scouting services and the length of the service itself.
Upon positive outcome the recruitment process for a Location Scout may begin. A list of local professionals is already available in IDM’ Directory.
5. Adoption criteria for the selection of a project
IDM reserves the right to verify and evaluate all applications received.
The evaluation will be carried out in two stages:
a. Formal verification of application material: completeness of all documents and fulfilment of all requirements.
b. Selection of the candidate: IDM reserves the right to decide whether or not to award the production company the free scouting service based on its potential to boost the strategic development of South Tyrol as a film location.
The evaluation will be made on the basis of the submitted documents. The following are considered in the evaluation:
- Experience and knowledge of South Tyrol (preference will be given to applications from production companies that have never filmed in South Tyrol)
- Feasibility and congruence of the request with the territory
- Financial soundness of the production company
- High probability of realization of the project
- Lack of the requested location in the database of IDM
6. Final meeting
The success of the scouting session is in IDM’s best interest. For this reason, a meeting at the end of the scouting is requested for feedback.